Friday, October 15, 2010

I love New Orleans





I love New Orleans...

We got in the taxi and the driver said, "Welcome to New Orleans. Is it your first time?" Steven answered, "No I've been here many times." The driver, "Well thank you for coming back. Thank you very much, we are having hard times here...." And he went on and on the whole drive, not just about how they are having hard times. He just wanted to talk and he told us everything about every place we drove by... On our way to breakfast... I loved him.

It's a breath of fresh air from the stiffness of those of us in the north. First of all it is sunny and 80! And every single person, I have encountered in the last 12 hours I've been here, has been kind and open and genuinely helpful. The pace is slower, the people are super friendly, the air is thicker and the architecture, is... well... gorgeous.

I walked and walked and walked til I got to Satsuma Cafe in the Bywater an awesome little cafe I heard about from Michael Stipe (well, sort of... via Gwenyth Paltrow, via my friend, who subscribes to Gwenyth's email newsletter called GOOP.. You should check it out, the newsletter and the cafe if you are in New Orleans). The cafe is awesome and I had a lovely and wonderful beet and fig salad, and took lots of photos on my walk.

The weather is perfect! And I am feeling inspired.... Thanks NOLA

No comments: