Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Thank you New Orleans!


NOLA was/is just one of those places that I felt immediately comfortable. Things just worked out, and not just that, there were amazing coincidences.

I think I told you I ran into a childhood friend on the plane down to New Orleans… Well, it turns out her sis was getting married in New Orleans. They told me to come. Steven had flown home that day, and I had no plans. So, I crashed the wedding. It was so much fun to dance and talk to and see a whole bunch of people from the little Wisconsin town I grew up in… So. Much. Fun.

I also attended a yoga workshop while in NOLA. I know. It’s not what you do when you go to New Orleans, but it is what I did and I enjoyed it. I met an amazing woman who then, drove me back to my hotel, all the way on the other side of the city and then the next day, Sunday, the day I was flying, she drove me back to her house after the workshop. We sat in her garden and talked ate and I met her family and then she took me to the airport. I’m not actually doing this story justice, because it was a very special experience, but I just want to tell you how much I love New Orleans and it’s people. So open, kind and generous.

I got to the airport a bit early with the idea, I would make some phone calls before I left the country. But instead everyone at the gate wanted to talk. I love it! Seriously. The guy to the right of me, saw my guitar and wanted me to play, but..um… no…. Then, his whole family was talking to me to about music and books and travel. The woman to my left just wanted to tell me all about her mother and what an amazing musician she is and she was on Letterman and her dad died 10 days after her 40th birthday and then suddenly we had to switch gates, get on the plane and fly far far away.

New Orleans is definitely one of those places, I will return to again and again and can’t believe it was my first time.

No comments: