Saturday, March 6, 2010

pondering my departure


goat with ankle bracelets, covered in a burlap sack, in front of a small shop. Varnasi (oh how i love this photo)

beggar in Bodh Gaya

at Balan's family guru puja. Kerala

The coconut stand. Mysore

the Amber Fort at dusk. Jaipur

Here I am in a cafe in Delhi, engrossed in the familiar mixed feelings of leaving this land.. This time, it's easier for me, I am ready to go back home.

This past week has been exhausting. I was working on a new project with a friend of mine. We worked ourselves ragged and during my many moments of "get me out of this place". I had to stop and say to myself, "enjoy.. this is the place you love and you only have a few days left." It worked sometimes.

Jaipur, Rajasthan is a crazy place with a rich history, full of merchants and old haveli's. It is a walled pink city with camel carts and beautiful women walking with bright colored sari's. I love seeing the flashes of color in the all the dust!

This trip has been full of work and full of travel. Steven and I started in Delhi then to Varnasi and Bodh Gaya. Then, we spent a month in Kerala and I headed over to Mysore for 3 weeks, and then back up to Jaipur and finally ending it with a few hours in Delhi!

Phew! It's been amazing. It always is, but it is also always different and I'd have to say this time around, I was much more calm, letting the flow happen in it's wild meandering way. I met so many amazing people and saw so many things. India always delivers on the sights, the sounds, and the smells.

oh mother India... until we meet again.

here are a few photos.

1 comment:

Boodiba said...

Those are some great, choice pictures Samia! I'm sure the traveling round plus working HAS been tiring. It's pretty frustrating to get from point A to B here. I haven't done much of that but enough to know.