Saturday, February 27, 2010

time warp





I looked down at my phone 15 missed calls. Hmmm….My phone had been on silent for only one hour. I called Kumar back and he said, “ Samia, please come urgently.”

My first thought, of course, is that something happened, but Kumar said, “no no no, not like that, you come, you see, you go.”

I had plans for the evening, but had to remind myself, as I was postponing them (until further notice), that I am here for two things. Yoga and jewelry all other things can wait. So, I hopped in a rickshaw, and rode across town to Kumar’s new shop. He was glowing with excitement.

“Samia, please come. Sit” He had two clients in his shop they were all talking and laughing. I sat for a few minutes and soon they left. Kumar slowly took out a small small package wrapped in newspaper. He opened it and inside were the jewels. Our work! Our beautiful shining pendants, rings and earrings! All of it organically perfect. Handmade, shiny golden ornaments.

He wanted me to see them finished… Urgently, in case we had to make any changes before my departure on Sunday.


I can’t believe today is my last full day in Mysore. I’m off to Jaipur, Rajasthan, tomorrow, for the last week of my journey before returning home. I keep reminding myself to take it all in, breathe in all the millions of smells, observe all the beautiful chaos. And do not resist the flow or get used to it either. I want India’s magic to stay alive while I am in it and while I am home.

new golden pendants:

shiva: the destroyer
lakshmi: Goddess of prosperity
ganesha: the remover of obstacles

prices to come. let me know if you are interested!

1 comment:

Andrea Russell said...

i would love to hear the details of the ganesh pendants...i am still wishing for one of your rings so hope that eventually you have a show in madison someday again!