Sunday, February 7, 2010

Amama





My last night in N. Kerala, I stayed with Balan and his family. They are so so sweet.

I had “claimed” a small space in their Krishna room, to put my things, so they were out of the way. As I was packing my items, on the day of my departure, Amama (grandma in Malayalum, the language of Kerala), came in the room. She is a tiny woman, over 90 years old and has 9 children. She is Balan’s mother and I just love her. I have rarely heard her speak, usually she is up and down, gardening, or reading prayers.

As she entered the room, she crouched down next to me. So close she was touching me and she started to sing, quietly, she sang and sang as I packed my bags.

Later I asked what she was singing and Divya told me this, “ Many years ago, Amama, was very very poor and she had soooooo many children to feed. So, she had to work and she worked very hard in the fields harvesting crops. The women started at dawn and would sing this song to the sun as it was rising.”

Oh how I love this story. Oh how I love the gift of story our elders give to us. I wonder if the women in the fields still sing the same song? I’m guessing they do.

I want to thank you for all the interest in the Elis'. I am taking orders for the pieces I am now making with Kumar in Mysore.. email me if you would like one!!

No comments: