Friday, January 22, 2010

paradise part 2






It seems like it's been forever since I've blogged. The internet is a bit hard to come by here and when I do have it the connection is slow so it's hard to post... But now I am in a very busy internet cafe in Kannur, the largest town near the village I am living in.

The last week has been fantastic and hot hot hot....We've made our first Elis' (a type of pendant) photos soon.. I will have a few for sale when we finish them and will blog all about their meaning. They are soooooo cool and they are for protection.

One of the highlights in the last week was, Steven and I handmade and hand-rolled linguini and made tomato sauce for Balan and his family. Great fun was had by all and it was the first time all 4 of them had eaten anything, but Keralan food. It really put a lot into perspective for me. Someone who has the great fortune of being able to travel the world and eat food from all over the place. We ate it with our fingers on banana leaves... The traditional Keralan way. They do not have forks.. It was a lot of fun!

The next few days will also be great fun. balan's family is having a big puja (ceremony) at the small temple they have on their land 150 people will come, all from their family. I am quite excited about this event. they have been preparing for days. Some ladies have spent the last few days, clearing the land of brush, some have come to make the food menu. there will be decorations and there is a lot of excitement in their home at the moment. Their ammama (grandmother) will have 5 generations there.

I am also completely honored to have been asked to sing at their village temple next week. They have asked me to sing a few songs during their festival. aahhh.....

along with learning how to make jewelry, in the traditional indian way, I have been trying to learn a bit of Malayalum, the language of kerala. it is so much fun!!

all is well here... I'm here for another 10 days or so and then on to the southern part of kerala for awhile...

xoxox

1 comment:

Tracy said...

freaking awesome! enjoy every second~~