Thursday, November 13, 2008

Panaji, Goa, India





We've been here a few days and I am liking it. It's not on the beach, but we are staying in an old Portugese house, all remodeled, very nice and airy. Goa was colonized by the Portugese for hundreds of years. So, the energy is very different here. There are a lot of Christians, the architecture is very European and the culture is different too.

My first day here I wandered the streets looking for goldsmiths. Unfortunately, this town is not the goldsmith town. It is a town near here called Mapusa. I did, tough find two men selling gold and one making it. So, I sat and chatted for hours, watching learning and I even bought a piece..

I've attached a few photos from my day of wandering.

one goldsmith is demonstrating a hand drill
some photos of the Portugese influenced gold jewelry. I've never seen silver and gold together in Indian jewelry. It is very distinct for Goa.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

can you please tell me where you found these rings. thank you