Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Kerala







I spent 5 wonderful days in Kerala, with Balan, the goldsmith. He lives in the jungle just along the northern coast of Kerala on the Arabian Sea. He has a very modest home and a beautiful wonderful family. During my stay, I attended puja (a blessing ceremony) at their family temple on his land, we celebrated my birthday with a beautiful little birthday cake, we saw scorpions, snakes and mongoose. We took the bus into a town nearby so he could deliver one of his pieces.

But mostly, I sat with him learning how to make a chain, Indian style. In my quest to learn and try to help keep alive the tradition of Indian goldsmithing (a dieing art). I made a chain with him and commissioned him to make me five more. Please let me know if you are interested in one. I will save one for you. The purchase of one of these chains will help support his family of 4. He works 7 days a week 10-12 hours a day out on his veranda making beautiful gold jewelry. He is a lively spirit and a wonderful man.

No comments: