Tuesday, January 25, 2011

so much suffering...


Melancholy day.. A lot of thinking, about all the suffering in this world, and how very fortunate I am. So very fortunate.

I sat with Kumar, my goldsmith teacher, tonight and we talked a bit about how the price of vegetables has quadrupled in the last year. I asked him how people are getting by and he told me, many people are not getting by.

It echoes what is going on around the rest of the world, but here it seems so much more raw... the reality is in your face, all the time. The struggle of the people here is huge. I'm talking about people who make maybe $3-5 a day working hard 12 hour days. How are they supposed to even buy food when the cost has gone up so much. Kumar told me the price of 1kg of onions was 10rupees (about $0.25) last year. Now it is 50rupees per kg that is over $1 just for onions. Imagine making $3 a day and trying to feed your family. So, difficult.

Anyway, that is what I thought about, a lot... And how very fortunate I am...

2 comments:

Jay said...

I understand. I have also been somewhat melancholy/concerned about world food issues. Especially after reading the "End of Food" book. Now I understand a little more about the world wide food industry and it is in need of great reform on all levels. Not just so we can feed all people but, we need so save the environment. If we continue to ravish our environment there wont be resources to grow food, e.g. lack of water and nutrient-depleted soils. It's a very complex issue yet fundamental for survival.

Boodiba said...

Eeeek!!! I just read the first review of End of Food & I'm scared.

I'm certainly fortunate compared to a poor Indian, but I'm a middle aged woman without health insurance, property or savings. My income hasn't gone up in five years & the inflation on food prices is indeed crazy. Oi. The problem affects all but perhaps the wealthy.

Of course if it progresses to global catastrophe then no one will be spared.