Sunday, January 23, 2011

piece of ass

I was walking down the road, as I do all the time, especially while in India. I walk and walk and walk and love looking at life as I go by. Yesterday, I was walking to visit a friend and suddenly, I was hit from behind.

3 young men were riding very very fast on their motorcycle (yes 3) and whack, one of them hit me in the ass and it hurt so bad. I just kept walking, what else was I going to do? Luckily, I was not hurt badly, just a sore butt and a bit shocked. A friend of mine just happened to be on a motorbike right behind them and he saw what happened and stopped and very kindly gave me a ride to where I was going.

I'm not writing this to make anyone look bad or to freak anyone out or turn them off to India. I'm writing it because, it is a good story. It's also a sad story. I feel so bad for these young men. Why would they want to do this? Why do they think this is ok? Unfortunately, these sorts of things are not uncommon in India. I told myself the first time I came, I was not going to let these sorts of things turn me off from this amazing place and I have not. I have dealt with it differently depending on the circumstances. In this case they were going too fast and I was too shocked to even react.

I'm still in love with India, just feeling a little sore today.. or should I say sour?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your slap, you know there is so much sexual tension in the world anywhere, I see that kind of activity in the USA much more than in India. You just happened to be an easy target. These guys are clue less. India or the USA or anywhere, an assault like this will happen and is never ok.

Tracy said...

I was in Fort Cochin on my bike heading back to my guesthouse w/ my husband and was hit with a stick on my back sooooo hard it actually made me cry...
a group of young boys were playing cricket in a park and one of them decided to do that to me.
I still love India too and will not let this deter me from my plans of going there to live one day.
I'm sorry you got it too..doesn't feel good. xx

Anonymous said...

Samia, Sorry to hear about your experience. My friend Swaneagle today posted about work she is doing here in Seattle to fight back against femicide. I was shocked to learn that every night in Seattle, hundreds of young women from 11 to 17 are pimped for sex and their life expectancy is very low. Superbowl weekend - I've heard - sees the largest spike in domestic violence of any weekend in the year. Thanks both for your non-violent response, and for speaking out.

Jordan