Friday, August 21, 2009

another rough diamond ring..





Wednesday was the last day of class. We had our critiques and saw everyone's work. I find it so amazing how if 20 people are given a piece of metal and are told to make something from it, there would be 20 unique and amazing pieces... Art class is a transformative experience for me. I find infinite inspiration, and learn so much from those around me. My teacher Lynne Hull is amazing. I am increasingly impressed by the way she teaches and encourages all of us to push out of our comfort zones to learn a new technique, to see what happens, to try new things. It's wonderful to play with metal and see how it moves. She has promised to send me photos of some of her work, so hopefully soon you can see what she does. It is simply stunning.

The photo is of the last ring I made in class. I am working on trying make my pieces look rustic. This piece is 5 layers of metal soldered together two layers of silver one of copper in the middle and then 2 of silver. the band is hammered and has a patina on it. the stone is a rough diamond.

No comments: