Saturday, May 1, 2010

a little more of Istanbul




Steven is flying back to the states to day and I have 3 more days on my own in Istanbul. It will be fun to explore and wander on my own a bit. I have plans to go to the goldsmiths and try to hang with them, but if that doesn't work out, there are about 4 million other things to do here..

We love the city.. After traveling to many places in the world, I have to say, from my limited time here, Turkish people and culture are absolutely amazing. So friendly and kind. I could definitley live here.

Istanbul is a huge bustling city, but there is a laid back feel, even in the high tourist areas. I love cultures that embrace and value relaxing.

Yesterday, we made our way (via ferry) over to the Asian side of Istanbul, mostly to visit a restaurant ciya we had heard about. It was so worth our time, we actually went over twice in one day. It's in a very cute little part of town called, Kadikoy. There is a beautiful little market, cafes, and people enjoying themselves. There were several cafe's with live music and it is so wonderful to see so many people out and enjoying themselves.

The other thing I love about this city is the public transportation. There are trams, metro, buses, minibuses, ferries (so many ferries), and of course taksi's (as they call taxi's here). the traffic as far as i have seen has been quiet and not so bad. I'm sure I haven't seen the worst of it. And the pollution seems to be low. but again, i have only been here 3 days. I can love anyplace for 3 days...

And one amazing story.. the other day we were walking through this crazy full of people walking area and I saw an old friend. We ended up having dinner and I will meet up with him again today... I love this small world..

so, i'm off to find a new place to stay and wander around for the day....

2 comments:

Life.learning.sherab said...

The food counter shown in the 3rd picture looks exactly the same as one small Mediterranean restaurant on State St, Madison, Wisconsin! I ate there several times and liked the foods there. And even the waiter looks similar in figure!

karazi design said...

sherab.. i know the one you are talking about. it has great food and i often eat there when i go back to madison.