Monday, January 7, 2008

Muni annealing and other things



This is a short clip I took last year of Muni, another goldsmith. He is using the traditional style of soldering/heating metal in S. India. The goldsmith's sit on the ground and have a small fire in a flower pot (which they consider a God) with small embers of a coconut shell used as heat. They blow into a tube to create intense heat to solder and anneal. he is annealing (softening) a piece of metal so he can hammer and shape it into whatever he is making. In this case a clasp for my chain.

Today, I had a short day with Kumar because I am feeling very tired. He said I should go home and "take rest", which I totally did. He is taking a day off of work tomorrow because there will be no moon which signifies something important (I love India). So, he is taking his family on a day trip to a place called Talakadu, which is supposed to look like the desert. He has asked me to join him and his family. So, I will meet them at their home in the morning and eat breakfast with them and then we will go.. I am very excited about this!!!

No comments: